Tellico Lake Crown Jewel of East Tennessee
East Tennessee is quickly becoming a Mecca for retirees and second-home owners. Lake living is a large part of that. Lake living resonates in a primordial place in the human psyche – a place of calm, a place of beauty and a place of promise.
Tellico Lake is more than 15,000 acres of beauty and promise surrounded by 357 miles of pristine shoreline, most of which, will never be developed ensuring a natural setting and scenic beauty that will last for perpetuity. This jewel lies at the foot of the Great Smoky Mountains only and an hour or so from The Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The Park and nearby Cherokee National Forest offer a nonpareil backdrop for any imaginable outdoor recreation from hiking, biking and horseback riding to birding, boasting, fishing, hunting, photography and more.
And while this outdoor paradise is private and secluded it is certainly not isolated. It is only a half hour’s drive from Knoxville, the hub of East Tennessee. One can go from jeans and cowboy boots on a trail ride in primeval forest in the morning to black tie and tux, gourmet dining and a performance of “Tosca” by the Knoxville Opera in the evening. Knoxville is the third largest city in Tennessee and home to the University of Tennessee. The city is also home to the Appalachian Ballet Company and the Knoxville Museum of Art.
Of course you don’t have to dress to the nines to find a good time in Knoxville. The walkable historic downtown provides a smorgasbord of dining, shopping and entertainment options. You can even rent kayak, canoe and/or paddleboard at Riverside Landing Park or Holston River Park and visit some of the downtown venues by boat.
Knoxville and East Tennessee is home to 16 award winning medical centers and Knoxville was recently ranked 20th by Health Grades Inc. in their “Top Cities for Hospital Care.” And this award winning care is provided at a cost that is 8% below national average. The nearby McGhee Tyson Airport in Alcoa ensures you’re never far away from anywhere in the world with service from Allegiant, American Airlines, Delta, Frontier and United.
Tellico Lake offers a number of lakefront communities – one is sure to be a perfect fit for you:
- Tellico Village is composed of 4,600 acres including 40 miles of shoreline. The oldest community on Tellico Lake, Tellico Village began construction in 1986 and the first residents moved in, in 1987. Tellico Village boasts three golf courses and five marinas plus a full slate of other paid for amenities like wellness center, clubhouse and pro shop.
- Rarity Bay sits on a 960-acre peninsula in Tellico Lake. It offers golf, tennis, boating and a community garden plus four miles of walking trails and even a park for your “best friend” – Rusty’s Place a one-acre dog park.
- Kahite is the newest Tellico Village community. This 850-acre community is surrounded on three sides by Tellico Lake. The Kahite clubhouse offers panoramic views of the championship golf course framed by the Great Smoky Mountains. Other amenities include pool, tennis and an activity/fitness room.
- WindRiver – Joe Ayers and WindRiver Investments LLC acquired Rarity Pointe in 2012 and the Knoxville resident has not looked back, bringing upgrades and confidence to the community. WindRiver is a 687-acre master planned community offering championship golf on Tennessee’s first Audubon-certified championship course. Other amenities include marina, Lakeside Inn, fitness center and more.
If smaller, more intimate communities with less structure are more appealing to you – you can find these at Tellico Lake as well:
- Legacy Shores – If it’s a small intimate community you’re looking for check out Legacy Shores. There are only 99 homesites in this development including many direct dockable sites – you don’t have to go to the marina to climb aboard.
- Harbour Place – Another place you can dock your boat at home. This community on the “Maryville” side of Tellico Lake offers expansive views of the lake.
- Tellico Harbor – On Nine Mile Creek in Vonroe, this subdivision is adjacent to Tellico Marina, one of the premiere facilities on the lake.
- Foothills Pointe – Located on the east side of Tellico Lake this community offers a community dock and boat launch.
It’s easy to see why so many people are choosing East Tennessee for retirement and/or second homes. The natural scenic beauty, nonpareil outdoor adventure coupled with a distinct yet temperate four-season climate plus the cultural, historic, educational and social opportunities provided by Tennessee’s third largest city make the area quite attractive. Throw in outstanding affordable healthcare, a cost of living index 10%-11% below average and what else could you want?
Oh, yeah – that perfect waterfront property on East Tennessee’s crown jewel – Tellico Lake.